Friday, September 04, 2009

An informal ballistics test


Posting at The High Road, LoneStarWings posts the results of his ad hoc ballistics test.

Federal HST Ballistics Test (.40 S&W 165gr vs 180gr):

Here is my informal HST ballistics test just to make sure they worked well in my carry gun (s&w m&p .40 w/ 4.25" barrel). All rounds fired from 7 yards into plastic milk jugs filled with water stacked 48" deep.

On the left: 2 180gr .40 bullets. On the right: 2 165gr .40 bullets. Pictured here with a nickel for comparison.

The 180's penetrated 2 milk jugs compleltely, made holes in the wall of the 3rd but came to rest in the bottom of the 3rd jug. They expanded to .83".

The 165's penetrated 3 milk jugs and came to rest in the bottom of the 4th. They expanded to about .70".

Either one seems to work fine, but I think I will stick with the 180's. It was fun watching the caps to the front milk jug fall to earth 3 seconds after the shots were fired. In all cases the front jug was ripped apart. I would've tested more to get a more scientific sample but I ran out of jugs.


Hat tip: Bern.

No comments: