Friday, January 16, 2004


Grille Frenzy

Okay, let me state up front that I love Nissan and Infiniti products. My family has had a variety of these automobiles over the years and I've owned both the '03 and '04 Infiniti G35 Coupe and Sedan. My Dad and brother have both owned multiple Maximas, and for many years I drove my wife's beater '84 Nissan 200SX (which apparently stood for "Styling suX"). So... what I don't understand is what Nissan is attempting with the "steel plate" grille.


2004 Nissan Maxima


I'm trying to figure out the designers' thought process here. "Let's slap a giant, square steel plate in the center of an otherwise good-looking grille! It'll fit really well with our new branding, given that the new Murano and Altima don't have these steel plates!"

The plates - which don't match the exterior color of the car nor the grille finish itself - stick out like a sore thumb. Nissan - are you listening? The grille, by itself with the simple, compact Nissan logo, would be much, much, much more attractive. For a company that has made few tactical errors in the last few years, this styling gaffe sticks out like a sore thumb. Or perhaps a steel thumb.

Names

In the Clever names department, I present Exhibit A: the Mazda "Truck".

Great Styling Work #107

Wonderful job by Volvo's designers with the new S40 exterior. Strong, flowing lines that borrow from the S80. Attention to detail in the corners. Just a very, very nice design.


2004.5 Volvo S40


XLR

Although I haven't seen in person yet, I get the distinct impression that this unit looks markedly different than its rendering in a 2D photo. I'm not a big fan of the "Stealth Fighter" school of design that has become the Cadillac branding vehicle. Stealth fighters are angular for a reason. Cadillacs are angular for no particular reason, except perhaps a skewed sense of aesthetics. And the interior... oh my. Cadillac: please beg, borrow or steal a BMW interior guy and get into the 21st century. We really don't need a dashboard that harkens back to a mid-80's Cimarron, at best.


Cadillac XLR


Joe Isuzu

Anyone know if Isuzu is still in business?

Brother, can you spare $440,381?

Holy shnikes, this car looks tight: the Porsche Carerra GT. And if you have to ask how much it costs - like me - you have no shot at buying one.


Porsche Carerra GT


No comments: