Monday, January 26, 2004


Bummed @ Amazon

I'm a little bummed out at Amazon... an editor there censored part of my review of the movie Confidence. If you check my Jan. 24 blog entry, you'll see the full review. Since they've never edited a single one of my previous 56 reviews, I'm wondering what was objectionable. If anyone has any ideas, fire me an email.

Okay... it's a few minutes later (8:01PM). I justed edited the review and changed the possibly objectionable phrase "making love" to "making time". Hmmm. We'll see if it makes it through the content filters this time. And I'll be certain to keep you --- my faithful reader -- up-to-date on this momentous news.

Camera-phone scam

Got this email from Rick: "Keep a watch out for people standing near you at retail stores, restaurants, grocery stores, etc., that have a cell phone in hand. With the new camera cell phones, they can take a picture of your credit card, which gives them your name, number, and expiration date. Identification theft is one of the fastest growing scams today, and this is just another example of the means that are being used. So... be aware of your surroundings."

Snopes validates this -- at least in the sense that it isn't an out-and-out hoax -- although most phone-cams don't have the necessary resolution. However, the newer, high-end phones will have the capability of in-store ID theft... so watch your back.

Buying Cars at eBay

I'm so whickety whack at HTML that if you click on this picture, absolutely nothing will happen!  Well, I'd make something happen, but I'm too tired to copy the URL from autos.msn.com.  Mad... simply MAD HTML skillz!Speaking of Rick, he's one of the few people I know who bought a car on eBay. Buying his '99 911 Cabrio in a transaction brokered by the 'bay probably saved him $6 or $7K.

Anyhow, eBay is now buying German auto classifieds site mobile.de to solidify its position as a market-maker for all things automotive. Look for more acquisitions in this space. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if LeaseTrader or Swapalease were next on the block.

2005 Porsche 997

There's no text here, just go about your businessHere's a "spy pic" of the reputed, forthcoming Porsche 997 from the excellent AutoSpies site. Reaction. Reaction. Still waiting for my reaction. Hasn't changed alot since '99, has it? That's why I'm still of the opinion that Porsche is wavering on the precipice. Not a lot of vision, when you can hardly tell which year model you're looking at -- and the Japanese competitors are pounding on the castle walls.


No comments: